Washington is a tort state. If you suffered injuries in a car accident in Kent where the other driver was at fault, you could file a lawsuit and seek compensation for the losses. The state laws are rather claimant-friendly, and even if you share the blame for the mishap to a large extent, you could possibly sue the other party successfully. To get a fair settlement, you need legal expertise. In this post, we bring the dos and don’ts of hiring a Kent car accident lawyer.
- Calling an attorney right away. If you don’t act promptly, you may lose valuable evidence. Let an attorney take over at the earliest.
- Check the attorney’s specialization. Hire an attorney who specializes in personal injury law and has adequate experience in handling car accident claims.
- Ask for references. If you want to know a lawyer better, call some of their clients and find out more about their experience.
- Discuss the claim. What is your car accident claim worth? An attorney can answer that for you in the first meeting. Ask about the things that can impact your settlement.
- Ask about trial experience. Many injury lawyers have never been to court for car accident claims. Ensure that your lawyer can represent you in court if needed.
- Ask about availability. If a lawyer is too busy, they may pass your case to an associate. Always ask about these aspects in advance. Having access to your lawyer is important.
- Don’t hire an attorney who demands an upfront fee. Most car accident lawyers in Washington state work on a contingency fee.
- Don’t hire a lawyer who sounds super busy or is not on time for appointments. Your lawyer should take your case on priority.
- Don’t hire an attorney who promises a big, fat outcome. There are many aspects of a car accident claim that are beyond their control.
- Don’t hire an attorney who wants to inflate your claim. Your lawyer needs to follow professional ethics.
- Don’t hire an attorney who is ready to settle immediately. A good lawyer is someone who does their best to get a higher settlement. Your lawyer shouldn’t be afraid to take the matter to court.
Life wouldn’t be the same after a car accident, at least for a while. Consider getting all the legal support and advice you can get. Call an attorney today to know more.